ABORTION PILL INFORMATION
BEFORE Using Abortion Pills
Medication abortion (also called the abortion pill) is FDA approved for up to 70 days (10 weeks pregnant) after the start of your last menstrual period.
- The “pill” is actually a protocol that involves taking two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, which are taken in two separate doses on different days.
- The FDA strongly cautions against the use of mifepristone obtained over the Internet.3
- The abortion pills are different from emergency contraception, sometimes called the “morning-after pill”.
- For women who change their minds after taking just the mifepristone, it may be possible to rescue the pregnancy. Learn more: The Abortion Pill Reversal.
FREE ULTRASOUND SERVICES
Can You Take the Abortion Pill?
Before taking the abortion pill you will need to know exactly how far along you are. We provide free ultrasound services to confirm a viable pregnancy and help you learn more about your options. We offer accurate information about all your options; however, we do not offer or refer for abortion services.
Medical abortion isn’t an option if you:4
- Are too far along in your pregnancy. You shouldn’t attempt a medical abortion if you’ve been pregnant for more than nine weeks (after the start of your last period). Some types of medical abortion aren’t done after seven weeks of pregnancy.
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place.
- Suspect you have a pregnancy outside of the uterus. This is called ectopic pregnancy.
- Have certain medical conditions. These include bleeding disorders; certain heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney or lung disease; or an uncontrolled seizure disorder.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines.
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care.
- Have an allergy to the medicine used.
ABORTION PILL COSTS
The typical cost for the abortion pill ranges from $350-$700 but could be higher depending on the provider. Get the information you need before calling abortion providers by finding out how far along in pregnancy you are with our free ultrasound services.
1. & 4. Medical abortion overview: mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/medical-abortion
2. Before Using: mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/mifepristone-oral-route/before-using
3. Information about Mifepristone for Medical Termination of Pregnancy Through Ten Weeks Gestation: fda.gov
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Learn About Your Options
Learn more about pregnancy and your options in Dothan, Alabama. We are a group of caring individuals – who treat each client with absolute compassion and respect.
The staff and volunteers at our clinics have experienced unplanned pregnancies and abortion. We can answer your questions without judgement, as we’ve been where you are now.